Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Scam in Brentwood

Today, on the sidewalk in front of the post office on Oak Street, hubby saw a small booth set up with a sign that said "Impeach Obama" and another poster with a photo of Obama with a Hitler mustache on him. There was a third poster but he can't recall the exact wording.  As he passed by, he overheard a woman talking to a young man that apparently was "in charge" of the booth. There were 2 women and a guy in the booth. The gist of the conversation was that these people were from San Francisco, they were taking donations to "impeach Obama" but admitted to the woman speaking to them, that they were taking donations FOR Obama's re-election campaign.
I don't know how the woman figured out their scam but I say, "good for her!"  I am not clear how this group set up on a city street but I intend to call the Brentwood Police Department to find out the procedure and to report this fraudulent behavior.
If I was donating to a specific "cause" or person, I'd expect my money to actually go to that cause and/or person. I believe it is fraud.  We'll see what Brentwood PD says. In the meantime, please be aware of these people and, if you see anyone collecting money for a political cause or even a non-profit medical research cause, ask questions like this smart woman did.  Make sure your money is going where you want it to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment