Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Sex

Did that get your attention? 😊 There is so much in the news and in our conversations about sex, gender, who you have sex with or don't have sex with. My grandmother was shocked back in the 60's when Jane Russell started advertising Playtex bras. I would imagine she is spinning in her grave at what is advertised today! In the 70's, it was a big deal when a toilet flushed! A ground-breaking event.

Now, today, even our kindergarten children are forced to try to figure out what to call their classmates. In a charter school in Rocklin, California, a student was re-introduced after recess as a different gender. One child was sent to the "office" because she slipped and called "her" "him". Honestly, what are we expecting from 5 year-old children today? Why was this done in the first place?

Why is society (or whoever it is) calling so much attention to less than 1%  of our population anyway? I had the privilege of calling two different "trans-gendered" individuals my friends. The first one ended up regretting the decision and had another major surgery to go back to his biological sex. For many years, he lived life as a woman and was even featured on HBO in the 80's for his radical (back then, it was extremely rare) change. This individual was one of the kindest persons I had ever met and I ached for her when she became so unhappy with her decision. It was a spiritual, emotional as well as physical decision she made. Her significant other who was married to him when he was a man (original sex) had to divorce him because, as you know, same-sex marriage was illegal in the 80's. But, as far as she was concerned, she loved the person he/she was and she was her best friend. (confused, yet? sorry). So they stayed together until the significant other died.

The second person I called my friend completely floored me when she told me she had been born male. There was nothing masculine about her - not her mannerisms, her voice, nothing! She was a lot of fun and a very compassionate person. As far as I know, she is still living her life as a female. She didn't tell me why she felt as if she was "really" a female in a male body. I didn't ask because I figured if she wanted me to know, she'd tell me.

I relate these two stories to express that I am not a "hater" or a "transphobe". What I am concerned about is a current bill before the California State Assembly (AB2349) that would prevent a counselor, psychiatrist, pastor, etc. from even listening much less trying to help a person who had what is called "gender dysphoria"; who become psychologically depressed, distraught, confused about the sex change. Books that address this situation would be banned for sale. I don't quite know how California is going to stop Amazon from selling them however. This bill isn't fair or kind or understanding for the person who decides that they are now not sure they are or are not the biological sex they were born to. Who are they going to talk to? Where are they going to get help? Does this mean they have to go out of state to get the help they need? Again, we are talking about a tiny percentage that this bill is supposed to "help" but my question is what is the point of it?

Is the bill simply the State's heavy-handedness to say what counselors we may see or what books we can read? Some have said the bill would ban the Bible but I hope that is just hysterical hype. California has some serious problems that its government needs to address that has nothing to do with sex! Our water, our raging forest fires that happen more and more frequently, floods, crime, gangs, etc. Why is our state spending time on something that is so trivial and affects so few individuals?

I am calling our State Assembly to table the bill and take care of issues that affect all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment