Tuesday, July 30, 2019

I am a victim too!

It seems like the thing to be these days is a victim. Aren't we all victims in some way or for some reason? Think about that for a minute. Some of us believe we are victims because of the color of our skin, or the God we worship, or the gender we are or our ethnicity, etc. So I will jump on the bandwagon too -- I am a victim. How, you ask?

First of all, I am a woman. Supposedly, that makes me a second-class citizen. I am told that women have a hard time breaking through the "glass ceiling" simply because I am a woman. I have personally not experienced that but according to the "experts", I just didn't know it or was in denial. I worked as a legal assistant/administrative assistant in Family Law for 20+ plus years. To be honest, I wasn't looking to advance beyond that because I loved what I did. True, after a while, Family Law can get to be depressing, frustrating and sometimes sad. I believe it takes a special "call" to work in Family Law not only as a legal assistant but as an attorney. I even owned my own business helping people complete their own divorces (30 years ago). There are a lot of people who simply don't have the money to hire an attorney and/or their divorce is pretty straight-forward. No fights over the kids or who gets what. They pretty much have all things agreed. I helped people through the maze of paperwork and there is a lot of paperwork. As time went on, the laws became even more complicated and I wasn't doing anyone any favors helping them due to those complications. So I retired.

Second, I am white. You say that isn't a "victim" category? I beg to differ. Any more, those of us who are white are becoming the minority and we should be a protected class. I certainly did not have any "white privilege" and I don't see that among the white people I know either. In fact, the ways that whites are discriminated against are staggering. If you are white, you are automatically not first choice when going to college, getting a job, getting the best education. Other ethnic groups or races get first choice especially in big corporations, schools, etc. I say that now is the time for whites to be a protected class so we not further marginalized!

Third, part of my heritage, my ethnicity is that I have Jewish blood in me. My maternal great-grandparents were Jewish so that makes me one-quarter Jewish. If I had been born in Nazi Germany, I would have been taken to the death camps. Today, with rise of Antisemitism, I am a victim there too. Who knows what this new rise will mean to me in the future? I can only ask for God's protection in that event.

Fourth, I am a born-again Christian. This is the biggie. The bias against Christians is so rampant that I fear it will only get worse. Plus, according to the Bible, it's guaranteed to get worse. So I think we Christians should be a protected class now rather than later. We have to be careful what we say not only in social media but among friends and family. The only way we will be able to function in society is to be a protected class.

So, on at least four levels, I am a victim. Now my question is: do I get any special privileges? It seems that victims are felt sorry for, pampered. Can I look forward to being protected for any of the above?

The truth is that I don't feel like a victim. I have a good life. I have a wonderful husband, two great adult kids, 4 wonderful grandchildren. I am not rich but our needs are met, sometimes miraculously. Why is it so great to be a victim anyway? Does it help in any way? I'd like the answer to that because being a victim seems to the "cause of the day".

No comments:

Post a Comment